What’s changingWith Office editing, you can now edit, comment, and collaborate on Microsoft Office files using Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides. This feature brings the collaboration benefits of G Suite to Office files while streamlining workflows by eliminating the need to convert file types.
Why you’d use itOffice editing will make it easy for G Suite users to open and edit Microsoft Office files that have been shared by partners, vendors or other teams. In cases where some members of your organization use Office while others use G Suite, this ensures seamless collaboration and eliminates the need to consider or convert file types.
Office editing brings everyone the benefits of G Suite’s real time collaboration tools and intelligence features to Office files.
- In Google Drive, double-click your Office file. This will open a preview of the file.
- At the top, click Open in Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides.
- From here, you can edit, share, view version history, collaborate in real-time with others, and more.
- All changes you make will be saved to the original Office file.
The following Office file types are supported:
- Word files: .doc, .docx, .dot
- Excel files: .xls, .xlsx, .xlsm (macro enabled Excel files), .xlt
- Powerpoint files: .ppt, .pptx, .pps, .pot
If you have the Office Editing for Docs, Sheets & Slides Extension already installed it must be removed before this new feature will work:
Sign into Google Chrome Browser with your Managed Google Account
Navigate to the upper right of your screen to the Settings area
Select More Tools
Locate the Office Editing for Docs, Sheets & Slides from your options of extensions and select Remove
Partially reposted from : Office editing makes it easier to work with Office files in Docs, Sheets, and Slides