You spoke. We listened.
Simpler WIFI connection and network names.
Last year, major upgrades to the campus WIFI network were implemented. Along with the upgrades, a number of wireless networks with varying features and configuration were implemented to allow users a choice of how they connect to JasperNet WIFI.
The feedback: K.I.S.S (Keep it Simple)
In preparation for the Fall 2012 semester, ITS has simplified the JasperNet WIFI configuration. All WIFI deployments conforming to "JasperNet WIFI 2.0" standards (802.11n) will be universally accessible by the single network "JASPERNET" (note the ALL CAPS). A companion network, "jaspernet-guest" will also be universally available across all JasperNet WIFI 2.0 locations providing campus visitors with some access to the Internet. Please see our network map for these locations.
We've already begun to weed out any of the confusing additional network names, however, we will continue to support local WIFI networks with additional security features (such as dls-secure or hayden-secure). Additionally, in areas where JasperNet WIFI 2.0 is not yet available, 802.11a/b/g access will be provided by the legacy network names of "jaspernet" or "Jaspernet" (note the lower case).
Saturday, August 25, 2012
We want to take a minute to welcome everyone back for a new semester. Please take a minute to read through the following reminders:
- The best way to get in touch with a Client Services representative is an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or a phone call to x7973 (718-862-7973). Note that email and voicemail for this line go to our ticketing system so we encourage you to leave a message.
- If you wish to check on the progress of your ticket, you can do so via https://clientservices.manhattan.edu/otrs/customer.pl
- Remember that we will never ask you for your password. We encourage you all to please reset your computer password prior to dropping it off at Client Services. If you do not do this prior, please allocate an extra 5 minutes to work with a Client Services representative so that they can assist you in changing your password when working with us. Upon completion of work on your computer, please allocate another 5 minutes so that a Client Services representative can assist you in changing your password back to it’s original state. This is necessary in order to safe guard your password. Remember that you should never give your password out to anyone under any circumstances. Note that the same procedure holds true when you are requesting assistance with one of your Manhattan College accounts.
- Client Services can not lend out equipment to students. If a student needs equipment for a project, they must have a Manhattan College employee sign out equipment on their behalf. Note that the Manhattan College employee is responsible for that equipment.
- Note that if equipment is needed long term, it should be purchased via your department. Client Services equipment is for temporary use only.
- The Client Services office does not work on personal computers. We will train employees and students and instruct them on how to fix their computers, but personal computers can not be dropped off for service. No personal items should ever be left in any of the Client Services offices.
- Please remember to plan event setups in advance. We work with limited resources so we can not always complete last minute requests.
- Client Services currently has 4 convenient locations: DLS 311, Jasper Basement, LIB 410A, & RLC 103. Please stop by the location closest to you. We encourage you to call first to be sure that someone is available as we are constantly assisting the Manhattan College community.
- Any suggestions or complaints about the ITS department should be sent to email@example.com
- Don't forget to add us to your circles: +ITS
- Check out our Blog: http://itsblog.manhattan.edu/
- Check out our known issues page: http://itsblog.manhattan.edu/p/known-issues.html
Thursday, August 9, 2012
The Client Services Jasper Office will be open Saturday 8/25/12 from 12PM - 5PM for Move in Weekend. We will also have staff on call Sunday 8/26/12 from 12PM - 5PM just call 718-862-7973, leave a message and someone will get back to you. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org